Welcome to PILOT Registration! Participants are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are interested in registering for multiple courses, you will have the option to select a PILOT session for each course. You must be registered for the course in order to enroll in a PILOT session. See below for the complete list of courses PILOT will be supporting this fall 2023 semester.
All members meet once per week for 1.5-2 hours every week as a group with their PILOT leader. You are expected to attend every session. Two unexcused absences are allowed, after which you will be dropped from the program.
PILOT Registration for Fall 2023 will open on Monday, August 28th at 9pm EST. PILOT sessions begin on September 4th.
The Office of Academic Support uses Penji to connect students to our Academic Support Programs. Students will utilize Penji to register for PILOT. Follow the steps below to register for a PILOT session:
- Set up your Account: Visit Penji here or download the Penji app for iOS or Android and create your account using your JHU email. Once you login, you should see “Communities” you are eligible for. Communities represent each of our Academic Support Programs. Please select the PILOT Learning Community.*Please note that your login will not work until registration opens on 8/28 @ 9pm EST.
- Register for a PILOT Session: Once in the PILOT Learning Community, click on the Students tab on the left-hand side. From there, you should be able to see the option to “Join Event”. Click on this to see all available PILOT sessions for the course(s) you are eligible for. If you click on the filters tab, you can view sessions by course. Once you see a session you would like to join, click into it and then click “Join Event”. If this option does not appear or it says “Join Waitlist” instead, this means the Event (PILOT session) you chose has already been filled and you can choose to join the waitlist instead or go back and choose a different PILOT session. That’s it! Once registered, your registered PILOT session should automatically sync to your calendar. The event will also have the room location listed (if it says TBD, the location will be updated soon). Remember, you will not be able to join events until registration opens. Watch this video if you would like to see a demo on how to register.
- View Ground Rules & Expectations: Once registered for an event (PILOT session), please review the Ground Rules & Expectations at the top of your event. These rules and expectations must be followed to remain in your session throughout the semester.
Penji Registration FAQ
What do I do if I registered for an event (PILOT session) for a course, but I have since dropped the course? Click into the event you want to drop. You will see three dots in the top right-hand corner. Click on this and then select “leave event”. This will drop you from the event for the entire semester.
What do I do if I registered for an event (PILOT session) and realize I don’t need PILOT support any more for the course? Follow the same steps as the question above.
What do I do if I registered for an event (PILOT session), but my schedule changed and I need to switch to a different session? If you need to switch to a different session, you must first drop the current session you are registered for (follow instructions in first question on how to drop an event). Then you can simply register for a new available session. Please be sure to drop yourself from the previous session to allow for others to register!!
What do I do if I am unable to get into an event (PILOT session) for a course? Please click on the “Join Waitlist” option when you click into the event. The Waitlist is viewed regularly and you will be contacted when a space opens.
How do I contact my PILOT Leader if I am going to be late, absent etc.? During your first session, your PILOT leaders will discuss with you the best way to contact each other (penji app, email, text, groupme etc.). If you haven’t attended a session yet and need to communicate with your PILOT leader, you can message them in the Penji App (click on the event–>PILOT Leader–> Chat with PILOT Leader).
I wasn’t able to get into the PILOT Session I wanted. Can I show up anyway? No. Students must be registered in order to attend sessions. PILOT Leaders will take attendance every session to account for each student on their roster. However, you can register for an available session at any time using the Penji App!
When does PILOT registration end? You can register for any open PILOT sessions all semester long!
Fall 2023 Supported Courses
- Calculus I BIO (AS.110.106)
- Calculus I ENG (AS.110.108)
- Calculus II BIO (AS.110.107)
- Calculus II ENG (AS.110.109)
- Calculus III (AS.110.202)
- Differential Equations (AS.110.302)
- Discrete Math (EN.553.171)
- Elements of Macroeconomics (AS.180.101)
- Elements of Microeconomics (AS.180.102)
- Fast Portuguese for Spanish Speakers (AS.210.275) *Required
- Fundamentals of Epidemiology (AS.280.350)
- Gateway Computing: JAVA (EN.500.112)
- Gateway Computing: Python (EN.500.113)
- Introductory Chemistry I (AS.030.101)
- LADE (EN.553.291)
- Linear Algebra (AS.110.201)
- Molecular Biology (AS.020.304)
- Organic Chemistry I – Falzone (AS.030.205)
- Organic Chemistry I – Nsengiyumva (AS.030.205)
- Organic Chemistry I – Tovar (AS.030.205)
- Physics I BIO (AS.171.103)
- Physics I ENG – Traditional & Active Learning (AS.171.101/AS.171.107)
- Physics II ENG (AS.171.102)
- Probability & Statistics: Life Sciences (EN.553.211)
- Public Health Biostatistics (AS.280.345)
- Spanish Elements II (AS.210.112)