Personalized tutoring is one-on-one specialized tutoring offered for students with additional needs. Students who meet specific requirements can be referred for personalized tutoring. Students can be referred by faculty, TAs, CSS staff, success coaches, academic advisors, faculty advisors, case managers, or OAS staff. All referrals must be made by a professional staff member, faculty or a TA.
Requirements for Referral
Students must meet at least one of the below requirements to qualify for personalized tutoring.
- Low academic preparation: lower placement, SAT/ACT, or AP scores, “C” or lower on prerequisite courses, gateway courses not taken at Hopkins, or English is student’s second language
- Current course trouble: low raw score on midterm/exam or low pre-curve grade
- Academic standing: GPA below 2.5, on academic probation, or returning from a dismissal
- Disability: student has a learning or other disability that makes learning in a group setting difficult
- Student must first try drop-in support options, if available
- Student must be attending classes and be academically engaged
- Student must be up to date with required work
- Student must be using office hours and other resources
- Student’s issue with academics must be academic
- Student must want a personalized tutor
If you feel you meet the above criteria and would like a tutor, please contact your KSAS or WSE academic advisor, who can submit a request on your behalf.
Please note: meeting one or more of the criteria above does not guarantee that you will be assigned a tutor. Tutors are available on a first come, first served basis until all tutors have reached their maximum capacity for the semester. Thus, it is strongly recommended that students seek out help as early as possible.