The Learning Den provides free, drop-in tutoring for all registered students in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and the Whiting School of Engineering. Drop-in tutoring focuses on a single course, and spaces are first come, first served.
- Summer 2022 drop-in tutoring will be held virtually beginning Wednesday, June 1st.
- No registration is required.
- Tutoring sessions can be accessed via the Zoom links in the drop-in tutoring schedule.
Tutors review course-specific material and encourage students to ask questions and exchange information. Students can expect to work with other students in the group while the tutor helps guide them to understanding. Tutoring is not a substitute for class attendance nor is it a place to just do homework. If you need help in a subject, request support early and often.
How to Prepare for your Group Tutoring Session
Students should come to tutoring sessions prepared with questions and specific topics that they would like to review. Read over this list of suggestions prior to attending your session to help you and the tutor make the most of your time.
- Go through notes, homework, textbook, etc., and make notes of sections that you are not comfortable with.
- Make a list of topics/questions on your computer, post-it notes, notebook, etc. so you do not forget to go over a topic during the session.
- Bring as many class resources as you can to the session.
- Try not to ask for an overview of the entire course. Instead, try to narrow down to specific chapters or sections unless you are truly confused about everything.
- Asking general questions about certain topics is OK. The tutor will help find the root of the issues.
- Make attempts of homework and textbook problems before the session and bring it so we can work through mistakes.
- If you don’t think you have issues with the material, but have poor study habits or test-taking skills, ask your tutor for advice in that class or at Johns Hopkins in general.
- Do not be afraid to ask any questions you have before and during sessions.
Direct questions or comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.