Applications are now being accepted for Learning Den Tutors for the 2020-2021 academic year! We are hiring for group tutors; personalized tutors; and tutors for the Economics, Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Neuroscience help rooms. Questions? Email Us!
- Work on course-specific materials with students currently enrolled in the course.
- Group Tutors: Commit to leading their designated session(s) for the duration of the semester . Tutoring starts the second full week of classes and ends the last day of classes each semester. Sessions do not run during Thanksgiving or spring break. During reading period, three to five tutors are asked to host review sessions for finals.
- Personalized Tutors: Hold regular hour-long weekly appointments with assigned caseload of students. Meetings will continue from the time of assignment until the end of the semester.
- Help Room Tutors: Staff help rooms on designated nights to offer tutoring on a drop-in basis. Tutors may be asked to help with several different courses within a particular subject matter during their shift.
- Monitor their assigned course syllabi and must maintain open communication with course faculty.
- Attend all mandatory tutor trainings and staff development workshops.
- Tutoring is a year-long or two semester commitment.
Students interested in becoming tutors must:
- Be a registered undergraduate or graduate student at Johns Hopkins University.
- Prior experience tutoring or mentoring before or while at JHU, whether formally or informally.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and have earned an “A-” or better in the specific JHU course being tutored (Exceptions may be possible on a case-by-case basis).
- Be able to communicate clearly and effectively and maintain a mature, professional demeanor.
International Tutoring Program Certification
The Learning Den Tutoring Program is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association’s (CRLA) International Tutoring Program Certification (ITPC). Tutors in our program participate in a rigorous training throughout their first two semesters that qualifies them for the CRLA ITPC level 1 tutor certification. This level 1 certification allows the program to require and ensure a level of professionalism, mentoring abilities and experience from our tutors that in turn ensures students receive a high quality level of tutoring and support.
- Tutor has met all the hiring and selection criteria. Hours of training offered at this level: at least 10
- Hours of TIS required of this training program: 6
- Number of ITTPC-recommended topics required at this level: 8
- Minimum additional tutoring hours required: 25
How to Apply
Applications are now being accepted for the 2020-2021 academic year! To apply, please click here.
Applications are reviewed based on:
- Initial Application
- Course performance
- Tutoring or Mentoring experience
- Faculty or staff recommendation (online form)
- Schedule availability
If your application is selected, you will be invited for an interview with the Learning Den staff and two members of the Advisory Board.
Accepted Learning Den Staff
Learning Den Staff, 2020-2021 academic year, will be required to attend an initial training before the start of the Fall 2020 semester.
Our needs and open positions change each semester. If you apply and are not hired, please consider applying again another semester.